Traditionally, facial wrinkles are associated with the natural aging process. As the years go by, your skin loses its ability to preserve moisture. It fails to produce enough oil to keep itself moisturized or collagen to retain its firmness. Factors such as smoking, pollution, a sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, and exposure to UV rays of the sun also contribute to fine lines and wrinkles as well.
Types of Wrinkles
Though make-up can mask imperfections you want to hide, it will only worsen the appearance of wrinkles with excessive use. That is why when they start forming, it is always better to seek treatment and stay worry-free rather than waste time and money on ineffective strategies. Based on the type of wrinkles, an experienced cosmetic practitioner can help people decide on the best form of treatment.
Facial wrinkles can be broadly classified into two categories:
• Static wrinkles – These are the type of wrinkles that are permanently present on the face even when it is in the rested and relaxed state. Though it may sound unlikely, sleeping positions determine the formation of static wrinkles. They generally form on the side of the face rested on the pillow. Because of this, people who sleep on their back have fewer chances of developing static wrinkles.
• Dynamic wrinkles – We make a myriad of facial expressions based on the emotions we feel at any given moment. These muscle movements can cause wrinkles that are called dynamic wrinkles. These are temporary and form mainly when someone is frowning or smiling. When the skin is young and collagen production is high, wrinkles will naturally get smoothened out, but with aging and the loss of elasticity in the skin, these temporary wrinkles over time become permanently set in the skin, resulting in crow’s feet, worry lines and frown lines.
Botox is one of the most effective non-surgical procedures to remedy dynamic wrinkles.
Remove Unsightly Wrinkles with Botox
Botox is a chemical that when injected into the face can minimize or eliminate the manifestation of wrinkles by relaxing the underlying muscles responsible for their formation. It is a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved injection containing purified botulinum toxin diluted to safe concentrations specifically for this purpose.
The toxin used in a Botox injection inhibits the release of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter in the body that is responsible for the muscle contraction. As a result, muscle contractions are reduced, resulting in a more relaxed face with less wrinkles.
Botox is especially effective in treating:
• Crow’s feet – Fan-like skin folds that appear on the outside corners of eyes when you squint or laugh.
• Forehead lines – Also called worry lines or expression lines, these horizontal lines appear on the forehead.
• Frown lines – Also called glabellar lines, these are the vertical lines that manifest between the eyebrows.
Botox injections are usually completed in about 15 minutes. You can receive them over a lunch break and return to your normal daily activities looking refreshed.
Contact Our Office
Botox is a great way to boost your youthful good looks in a short amount of time. If you’re interested in learning more about the treatment, contact our office to schedule a consultation with skilled plastic surgeon, Dr. Richard A. Bartlett today!